http://www.blogger.com/

Monday, April 4, 2016

Make It Monday - Twinkie Hula Girl!

Today's Make It Monday project is really sweet!  Wednesday, April 6 is National Twinkie Day! While I'm not a super Twinkie fan (I prefer Hostess Cupcakes) I do love them as a cake decorating surface! Back in the day when I was teaching Wilton Cake Decorating, Twinkies were a fun way to practice our skills without having to bake a cake. Being from Hawaii, one of my favorite designs was the Hula Girl made with the banana Twinkies they used to make, those had a nice warm brown color.


Here's our 2016 Hula Girl Twinkie! We also have a project sheet on our website.


Make some icing or use the Readymade Wilton Decorator Icing in white.



Use the Wilton Icing colors to make the different colors you need. Don't use food coloring, it has too much liquid and can alter the icing consistency.The best way to add color is with toothpicks. Poke a toothpick through the foil wrapper and get some color on it.


Stick the toothpick into the white icing and stir. Always use a clean toothpick to add more color.


I like to start with the hair first. For the hair, I mixed up a little brown icing and I used the  #47 Basketweave  tip to make some beautiful wavy hair. Use with the serrated edge facing up to get the line texture. TIP: For better coverage, you can spread a little icing on before piping the hair on.

Make the hair as long as you like, styled as you want, have fun!


For the body, I used the #47 Basketeweave with green icing to make the grass skirt. You can use other tips like rounds or even #233 Grass, test to see how you want the skirt to look.Starting from the midpoint of the Twinkie, I make rows of the green strips around the Twinkie.


Next, I used the #5 Round tip to make two white dots for the eyes. A little later, I will add a dot of black gel to the center for the eyes.


I also use the #5 tip and white icing to make two patches above the skirt for the coconut bra.


You can make large icing circles in brown but I like to use Whoppers for the coconut bra top.
The icing helps to hold them in place.
.

The finishing touch is make a lei around the neck. Use a Star tip to make a ruffle around the neck for a lei. You can also put a flower in her hair. I used #18 Star tip.


I added a finishing touch to her skirt with a ruffle of green at the top using the #18 Star tip, like the lei. Now, your Hula Girl is ready to celebrate! Hau'oli la Hanau, Twinkies!

Thanks for stopping by for this week's Make It Monday! Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by today! Please leave a comment and share your thoughts.

NOTE: If this posting has a contest, please leave a name on your comment so it will be easier to identify the winner (no anonymous, please!)